Serves 8 / Source: from www.thekitchn.com
- 1½ lbs ripe tomatoes (about 5-7), chopped
- 3 cup(s) stale bread, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3-4 cup(s) vegetable or chicken stock
- ¼ extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a large non-reactive bowl, combine all ingredients. For the broth, begin with 3 cups. Working in batches, purée in blender. If consistency is too thick, add more broth. Once entirely blended, pour back into bowl and cover.
- Chill at least 2 hours in the refrigerator, preferably overnight for flavors to come together.
- Check for seasoning and adjust if necessary and stir well, or pulse in blender before serving. Garnish with cucumber slices, a sprig of cilantro, and/or chopped red onion.