Source: from www.thekitchn.com
- For the salad:
- 2 bunch(es) (about 1 pound) kale, washed and dried
- 3 tbsp grapeseed or other high-heat oil, divided
- ¼ tsp salt, plus more for bread
- 2 thick slices sourdough bread (about ¾-inch thick)
- 1 small garlic clove
- 2 tbsp shaved Parmesan (optional)
- For the dressing:
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Cut out and discard the stem and central rib from each kale leaf. In a large bowl, toss the kale leaves with 2 tablespoons oil and ¼ teaspoon salt, until leaves are evenly coated with oil. Rub both sides of the bread with the remaining tablespoon oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Rub the small garlic clove over both sides of the bread.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan to high heat. Working in batches, grill the kale leaves until brown and crispy on both sides, about 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. Grill the bread until crisp and lightly charred on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Roughly chop the kale leaves into bite-size pieces and place in a large bowl. Cut the bread into large cubes and set aside.
- To make the dressing, grate the large garlic clove with a microplane grater (or use a garlic press) and combine with the lemon juice and ¼ teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Pour the dressing over the chopped kale and toss to coat. Add the bread cubes and toss. Transfer to a serving platter or bowl and garnish with the cheese, if desired.